On Jul 19, 2018, at 08:41, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:

> Then we would have to solve our governance problem sooner rather than later.
> But i don't think every Python release has to make a huge splash.

The other option of course is to push the release date of Python 3.8 back to
accommodate the new governance structure.

> On Jul 18, 2018, at 19:23, Tim Peters <tim.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unsure!  Governance is needed to resolve conflict.  When there's broad
> agreement, "leaders" aren't really needed.  For example, there's been a bit
> of talk on python-ideas about adding a new `intmath` module capturing some
> frequently reinvented functions for which decent implementations are known
> but non-obvious (e.g., for generating the primes).  Nobody could sanely fight
> to death against something like that.  Even whining about it would appear
> petty ;-)

I don’t necessarily include new modules, other stdlib changes, build or
performance improvements, and other such “normal development” work (i.e. bug
fixing) to be affected by a language moratorium.  PEP 572-level decisions would
very definitely fall under that rubric.

We have plenty of experts still in place that can make more minor decisions.
In fact, perhaps we should largely operate as if our BDFL were just on a long
vacation and not pronouncing on PEPs.  That’s never frozen Python development
before, and shouldn’t now.

If PEP 572 were the only new syntax for 3.8, then so be it.

Cheers,
-Barry