On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, 8:18 am Terry Reedy, <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:

> The one thing I think needs to be discussed and not been much, at least
> not publicly that I have seen, is whether we really want to go down the
> road of contextual keywords.  There are some negatives as well as
> positives.  Just because the new parser makes them possible does not
> mean we should.  Do we really want to see 'match match:' or 'case
> match...', etc?

As a hard keyword, the existence of "re.match()" would have almost
certainly resulted in immediate rejection of the PEP.

Where possible, should we retroactively make existing
> keywords contextual?

The benefit of contextual keywords is being able to choose popular
method/function/variable names as new keywords without a disruptive
deprecation and migration process. That benefit doesn't apply to existing
keywords.

Cheers,
Nick.