On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 9:36 AM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org> wrote:
> I'm getting more and more email notifications when a commit contains
> my GitHub handle ("@vstinner"). For example: "Automerge-Triggered-By:
> @vstinner".

Yes, this is a pretty substantial failing of GitHub for popular projects :(

> But the problem is that the "automerge" labels uses
> "Automerge-Triggered-By: @vstinner" syntax. Maybe a small enhancement
> would be to use ""Automerge-Triggered-By: vstinner" syntax instead
> (avoid the @).

This is already done; see
https://github.com/python/miss-islington/commit/334c817cecf6c5c7f074ec7dbbad89d491b42f1a
(we now use `GH:vstinner` to keep it clear that it's a GitHub handle
without triggering GitHub's automatic linking/mentioning).

> Some developers put my handle in a commit message since it becomes the
> PR descriptor and sends ping me by email. But then my handle lands
> into the merged commit message, like:
> I'm not asking you to stop mentioning me. I'm just asking for help how
> to filter these notifications?

This is one of the several reasons that I don't like using the PR
description as the commit message when using auto-merge :).  I still
think we ought to require a new comment with a special marker to
contain the commit message.  I haven't found time or motivation to
actually try to make this change, though.

That change wouldn't help with existing messy commits, though, and
those keep popping up when someone does something weird with their
fork, like rebasing one stable branch on another.  I'm afraid I don't
have a good solution for that that doesn't risk masking the messages
you might actually want to see :(