On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 1:08 AM Chris Withers <ch...@withers.org> wrote:

> Don't get me wrong though: I think Hacktoberfest is a terrible idea in
> that focusses on short-term fly-by contributing rather than fostering
> the long term commitments that all open source projects desperately need.

I understand the frustration and indeed there needs to be a solution for
engaging long-term contributors.
I think it's true that not everyone participating will end up as long term
contributors, but this is a general problem, and we see the same issue with
sprints at conferences as well. Perhaps only a small percentage of
participants do end up being long term contributors.
I think it's unfair to say that sprints/hacktoberfest is bad because we
don't end up with long term commitments. It's not our place to judge
people's motivation into contributing to OS projects. Some people have
never been exposed to OS before, maybe they just want to try it out and see
if it's something they want to do long term. Events like sprints and
hacktoberfest lets them experiment and to try contributing. It's ok if most
end up not wanting to continue. So maybe hacktoberfest is bad for
maintainers in general, as we get very little out of it, but it can be good
to some others. I think we should not limit ourselves into saying "only
serious/long term contributions are allowed here".

For the first time this year, there is finally some focus on open source
maintainers during hacktoberfest. Participants are also encouraged to
donate to participating projects. Since CPython project is already set up
on GitHub Sponsors, I would like to get CPython listed there so that our
project will appear on the list of projects that people can donate to,
which will help with funding of CPython development.

I'm going to go ahead and add the hacktoberfest topic to the repo later
today. I will also send an announcement to python-dev, letting people know
of our participation, and that we will opt-out if we end up with mostly low
quality and spam PRs. I will be watching the incoming PRs for the next week
so I can determine whether we should opt-out or not.