I like the SSI feature.  It would fill a nice gap between using
plain HTML files and having to go to a more featured template
or engine.  Some things are simple enough that the SSI concept
should be enough, and having Python would be nice.

I do need to give your proposal some more thought before I can
properly comment, but it looks interesting so far.

One thing I think that *should* be very easy to do in an SSI setting
is HTML-escaping.  I shouldn't have to do something like
'from cgi import escpe'.  Perhaps adding another parameter, like

 <!--#python esc="h" eval="print '1<2'"-->

where esc is a built-in escaping filter: h=html, u=url, x=xml
(difference between h and x is how it escapes quote chars).

Another question.  How are character sets handled?  If the
output is a Unicode string, how does it get encoded?  Should
it always asume say UTF-8, or can it determine the actual
character encoding for this reponse somehow?

Also, my vote is that None should result in no output.
--
Deron Meranda