One extra comment on this...

Firstly make sure you have upgraded to the latest version of MySQLdb - we found earlier versions less than great.

Warning: If you have PHP installed it uses mysql client libraries which are OUT OF DATE - and will cause failures. Remove the php module from the server and try again.

We use MySQL 4.1 servers quite happily from mod_python under both win32 and linux.