Graham Dumpleton wrote ..
> What is interesting now is that when doing that, I note that on Mac OS
> X there are some worrying error messages which follow that:
>
> [Thu Apr 13 11:09:37 2006] [error] Internal error: pcfg_openfile() called
> with NULL filename
> [Thu Apr 13 11:09:37 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (9)Bad file descriptor:
> Could not open password file: (null)
>
> A bit of checking though suggests that that is from test_req_requires.
>
> I'll dig into these latter errors, maybe they might help to uncover
> something.

The reason for the above errors is that the req_requires configuration
is in practice probably wrong. The configuration for the test is:

            c = VirtualHost("*",
                        ServerName("test_req_requires"),
                        DocumentRoot(DOCUMENT_ROOT),
                        Directory(DOCUMENT_ROOT,
                                  SetHandler("mod_python"),
                                  AuthName("blah"),
                                  AuthType("basic"),
                                  Require("valid-user"),
                                  AuthBasicAuthoritative("Off"),
                                  PythonAuthenHandler("tests::req_requires"),
                                  PythonDebug("On")))

By saying:

                                  AuthType("basic"),

you are literally saying that it should be passed to provider for "Basic"
authentication, but in doing that no AuthFile directive has been supplied
and so it is obviously going to fail. Apache 2.2 is probably at fault for
not giving better error messages.

To fix the problem, it should be set to anything but "basic" or "digest".

                                  AuthType("dummy"),

In your original email you said your problem was with the auth_type test.

  I've tested with and without the new importer on Windows XP SP2 +
  Python 2.4.2 + Apache 2.2.0 and everything works except the
  test_req_auth_type test, which signals a 500 error.

Are you sure it was the auth_type test and not the req_requires test
that immediately follows?

Graham