On 12/06/2006, at 3:30 PM, Damjan Georgievski (JIRA) wrote:

[ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-74? page=comments#action_12415819 ]

Damjan Georgievski commented on MODPYTHON-74:
Also I'd suggest that some features are implemented in modpython_gateway: - sendfile support (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0333/ #optional-platform-specific-file-handling) - more robust PATH_INFO and SCRIPT_NAME detection, possibly without the "PythonOption SCRIPT_NAME" hack.... well, I think this might not be possible but it would be great if is.

And there be the lid on the can of worms. What you want is more than just a minimal basic WSGI gateway, you want other stuff as well. Other people will probably want other stuff down the track as new WSGI components are dreamed up which can only be implemented by hooking off low level features of the actual web server. Thus the burden of developing and supporting it grows and grows with an expectation that it be the existing mod_python developers that do the work even though our hands are
already full just fixing the existing problems in mod_python.

The far preferable approach would be for others to step up and dedicate
themselves to developing and supporting a mod_python/WSGI gateway as a
distinct package hosted on its own site. If someone else is prepared to do this, I don't think you'll will have problems with the existing mod_python developers and other users giving feedback on issues and changes. I wouldn't even see any problems with the discussion being on the mod_python developers list, but please keep the
project and ownership of it separate.

One benefit of the package being separate would be that it could be made to work with any of the major versions of mod_python (2.7, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 ...). If part of mod_python itself it would only be available with the latest version of mod_python which defeats the idea that which version of mod_python wouldn't matter, something which would be important for what WSGI promotes. Being separate also means you aren't constrained
to the mod_python release dates.

Thus, there is nothing stopping someone creating a SourceForge (or whatever is the flavour of the month) project now and you could have it very quickly for any version of mod_python. Otherwise, wait perhaps until nearer the end of the year when the next
major version of mod_python is ready. Which would you prefer?

Sorry to be so negative, maybe I'm just grumpy because after a 8 hour plane flight, home, the first time for business class for me, I get stuck in the plane at the airport gate for an hour because the air bridge broke down. In the end was one of the last to get
off the plane along with first class and the pilot. Stupid airport.  :-(

BTW, this means I am back home now, so you should see me starting to ramp up on
changes to mod_python again. ;-)

Graham