Jorey Bump wrote ..
> Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>
> > There are two things you can do to gauge where any loss arises. First
> is to
> > ensure that module reloading is turned off and see how that changes things.
> >
> >   PythonAutoReload Off
> >
> > The second is to reenable the old module importer as a comparison. This
> needs
> > to be done at global scope within main Apache configuration:
> >
> >   PythonOption mod_python.legacy.importer *
> >
> > The argument is actually a comma separated list of interpreter names
> for which
> > to use the old importer. Listing just '*' has the effect of using the
> old importer
> > for all interpreter instances.
>
> I'm getting the same results with either or both options, so it may be
> simple system glitch or a performance hit elsewhere.

There are other places besides the new module importer where changes were made
which affect all requests, regardless of which importer is used. I started
mentioning these in my past mailed but then dropped it as I couldn't see that
they would be that significant as they fall within the C code component. Most
of the changes should also only have an impact where stacked handlers are used,
or where wildcards or regexps are used with Directory directive. That or where
specific features are used from user code, but in the main these are features
which I don't think can be used in older versions anyway. The only other area I
have been concerned about is how we have been progressively adding to the chain
of strcmps in request object where special stuff has to be done when accessing
or setting attributes. This would only be an issue though if user code did lots
of request object attribute lookups which fall into the set where the serial
strcmps are done. Cleaning up request object was one of the things on my mental
list for next version.

If you manage to identify a particular area as being a problem, do let me know.
In the mean time I'll have a bit of a check back over the code and have a think
about what other changes could have been made that might have a significant
effect. Will also see if I can get any sort of consistent results out of my
PowerBook
and compare older mod_python with new.

Graham