On Jan 6, 2005, at 8:17, Michael Hudson wrote:

Ilya Sandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

A problem:

The current struct.unpack api works well for unpacking C-structures where
everything is usually unpacked at once, but it
becomes inconvenient when unpacking binary files where things
often have to be unpacked field by field. Then one has to keep track
of offsets, slice the strings,call struct.calcsize(), etc...

IMO (and E), struct.unpack is the primitive atop which something more sensible is built. I've certainly tried to build that more sensible thing at least once, but haven't ever got the point of believing what I had would be applicable to the general case... maybe it's time to write such a thing for the standard library.

This is my ctypes-like attempt at a high-level interface for struct. It works well for me in macholib: http://svn.red-bean.com/bob/py2app/trunk/src/macholib/ptypes.py

-bob