On 2005 Jan 12, at 00:30, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

Guido van Rossum wrote:

The only thing this intends to break /.../

it breaks classic C types:

True!!! And it only breaks copy, NOT deepcopy, because of the following difference between the two functions in copy.py...:

def deepcopy(x, memo=None, _nil=[]):
cls = type(x)
copier = _deepcopy_dispatch.get(cls)
if copier:
y = copier(x, memo)
else:
try:
issc = issubclass(cls, type)
except TypeError: # cls is not a class (old Boost; see SF #502085)
issc = 0
if issc:
y = _deepcopy_atomic(x, memo)
else:
copier = getattr(x, "__deepcopy__", None)

Now:

>>> x = cElementTree.Element("tag")
>>> cls = type(x)
>>> issubclass(cls, type)
False

therefore, copy.deepcopy ends up doing the getattr of '__deepcopy__' on x and live happily ever after. Function copy.copy does NOT do that issubclass check, therefore it breaks Fredrik's code.

(and of course, custom C types is the only case where I've ever used
__copy__; the default behavior has worked just fine for all other cases)

for cElementTree, I've worked around this with an ugly __reduce__ hack,
but that doesn't feel right...

I think you're entirely correct and that we SHOULD bugfix copy.py so that function copy, just like function deepcopy, does the getattr from the object when not issubclass(cls, type).

The comment suggests that check is there only for strange cases such as "old Boost" (presumably Boost Python in some previous incarnation) but it appears to me that it's working fine for your custom C type and that it would work just as well for __copy__ as is seems to do for __deepcopy__.

The fix, again, should be a tiny patch -- and it seems to me that we should have it for 2.3.5 as well as for 2.4.1 and the HEAD.

Alex