Mike Brown wrote:
Fredrik Lundh wrote:

any special reason why "in" is faster if the substring is found, but
a lot slower if it's not in there?

Just guessing here, but in general I would think that it would stop searching as soon as it found it, whereas until then, it keeps looking, which takes more time. But I would also hope that it would be smart enough to know that it doesn't need to look past the 2nd character in 'not the xyz' when it is searching for 'not there' (due to the lengths of the sequences).

There's the Boyer-Moore string search algorithm which is allegedly much faster than a simplistic scanning approach, and I also found this: http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=79184 So perhaps there's room for improvement :)

--Irmen