On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:16:52 -0800, Guido van Rossum
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Really?  I do this kind of thing all the time:
> >
> > import os
> > import errno
> > try:
> >     os.makedirs(dn)
> > except OSError, e:
> >     if e.errno <> errno.EEXIST:
> >         raise
>
> You have a lot more faith in the errno module than I do. Are you sure
> the same error codes work on all platforms where Python works? It's
> also not exactly readable (except for old Unix hacks).

Agreed. In general, I often wish in production code (especially in
not-100% Python systems) that Python did a better job of at the very
least documenting what kinds of exceptions were raised by what
function calls.  Otherwise you end up with what are effectively
blanket try/except statements way too often for my taste.

--da