Gareth McCaughan wrote:

I'd like it, and my reason isn't "just to save typing".
There are two reasons.

  1 Some bit of my brain is convinced that [x in stuff if condition]
    is the Right Syntax and keeps making me type it even though
    I know it doesn't work.

  2 Seeing [x for x in stuff if condition] triggers my internal
    duplicated-stuff alarm, and it's distracting, in the same sort
    of way as it's distracting in C or C++ seeing

The full syntax is:
[ f(x) for x in seq if pred(x) ]
being allowed to write 'x' instead of 'identity(x)' is already a shortcut, just as dropping the conditional part.

Remember we're doing set theory stuff here. IMHO we should follow its notation conventions as much as we can.

--eric