Juan Carlos Rodrigo wrote:
Interesting idea, but not really needed given the existence of the break statement:

Goto = break
I'm not interested.

All non-sequential control structures are merely constrained ways of using goto (the underlying machine code will devolve into conditional and unconditional branches and jumps - i.e. goto's). 'break' is a highly constrained form of goto and a fundamental part of structured programming (as is 'continue') - each is limited to a local effect on the loop that contains them. This is a far cry from the ability to jump to an arbitrary label that gives goto its bad reputation.

I used to share your sentiment regarding break and continue - experience (especially Python experience) has convinced me otherwise. Python embraces the concept of breaking out of a loop to the point that it even has an 'else' clause on loop structures that is executed only if the loop is exited naturally rather than via a break statement.

Regardless of whether you personally choose to use break and continue, the existence of those statements is the main reason that the addition of a flag condition to for loops is highly unlikely. If you want to terminate a for loop before the iterable is exhausted, the recommended solution is to use a break statement.

To illustrate the point about all control structures being gotos, even a simple do-nothing for loop results in a JUMP_ABSOLUTE (goto!) in the generated bytecode:

Py> def f():
...   for item in range(10):
...     pass
Py> import dis
Py> dis.dis(f)
  2           0 SETUP_LOOP              20 (to 23)
              3 LOAD_GLOBAL              0 (range)
              6 LOAD_CONST               1 (10)
              9 CALL_FUNCTION            1
             12 GET_ITER
        >>   13 FOR_ITER                 6 (to 22)
             16 STORE_FAST               0 (item)

  3          19 JUMP_ABSOLUTE           13
        >>   22 POP_BLOCK
        >>   23 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
             26 RETURN_VALUE

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia