Martin v. Löwis wrote:
Andrew MacIntyre wrote:

This change has broken the build on FreeBSD 4.x for me:

gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -
I. -I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Python/thread.o Python/thread.c
In file included from Python/thread.c:101:
Python/thread_pthread.h:19: syntax error
*** Error code 1

This should be fixed now, please try again and report whether it
works.

It does.

It would be really nice if you could try to analyse such problems
deeper in the future.

I would have if I'd had the time; sorry that I didn't state that. All I really intended was to alert Anthony to a problem on a widely used but non-primary target platform, so that he could make a decision about whether to worry about it or not for the 2.4.1 release. I had intended (but again didn't state) to follow this up at the earliest opportunity (which probably would have been this evening).

In this case, it would have helped if you
had reported that _POSIX_SEMAPHORES is defined as

#define _POSIX_SEMAPHORES

so that the #if line expands to

#if == -1

The standard solution in this case is to write

#if (_POSIX_SEMAPHORES+0) == -1

First time I can recall seeing that sort of situation - which I guess shows my lack of serious cross-platform C programming experience.

Thanks for the fix and taking the time to explain.

Regards,
Andrew.