On Mar 29, 2005, at 5:15 PM, Aahz wrote:

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005, Adam MacBeth wrote:

Has anyone ever considered using SCons to build Python? SCons is a great build tool written in Python that provides some Autoconf-like functionality (http://www.scons.org). It seems like this type of self-hosting would be a great testament to the power of Python as well as helping to reinforce the strength of SCons as a next generation build tool.

Unfortunately, this leads to a bootstrapping problem. :-( It might be worthwhile investigating moving parts of CPython's build process to SCons, but core Python needs to stick with make. If you want to push this idea forward, you'll probably need to create a proof-of-concept.

I think it would also be important for SCons to gain more traction amongst the Python community before it filters into the core.

All of the Python extensions I use, and the ones I write myself, are built using distutils. I'm not really fond of distutils, but last I looked at SCons it didn't seem like a big enough win for mostly-Python-projects.. The fact that it uses 1.5.2-isms, where distutils has (in theory) moved beyond that, makes it even less of a sell to me.

-bob