Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
So there is a standard for the UTF-8 signature, and I know of
applications which produce it.  While I agree with you that Python's
codecs shouldn't produce it (by default), providing an option to strip
is a good idea.

I would personally like to see an "utf-8-bom" codec (perhaps better named "utf-8-sig", which strips the BOM on reading (if present) and generates it on writing.

However, this option should be part of the initialization of an IO
stream which produces Unicodes, _not_ an operation on arbitrary
internal strings (whether raw or Unicode).

With the UTF-8-SIG codec, it would apply to all operation modes of the codec, whether stream-based or from strings. Whether or not to use the codec would be the application's choice.

Regards,
Martin