Michael Hudson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Tim Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> [Michael Hudson]
>>> Asking mostly for curiousity, how hard would it be to have longs store
>>> their sign bit somewhere less aggravating?
>>
>> Depends on where that is.

[...]

>> I'd much rather give struct _longobject a distinct sign member (say, 0
>> == zero, -1 = non-zero negative, 1 == non-zero positive).

I ended up doing -1 non-zero negative, 1 zero and positive, but I
don't know if this is really clearer than what you suggest overall.  I
suspect it's a wash.

[...]

> I might do a patch, at some point...

http://python.org/sf/1177779

Assigned to you, but unassign if you don't have time (testing the
patch is probably more worthwhile than reading it!).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Linux: Horse. Like a wild horse, fun to ride. Also prone to
  throwing you and stamping you into the ground because it doesn't