On Apr 10, 2005, at 4:08 PM, Michael Hudson wrote:

Bob Ippolito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

On Apr 10, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Michael Hudson wrote:

James Y Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Here's the numbers. It looks like something changed between python 2.2
and 2.3 that made calling PyEval_InitThreads a lot less expensive. So,
it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference on recent versions
of Python.

Thanks. I see similar results for 2.3 and 2.4 on OS X (don't have 2.2
here).

It's very much a guess, but could this patch:

[ 525532 ] Add support for POSIX semaphores

be the one to thank?

No, Mac OS X doesn't implement POSIX semaphores.

Well, does OS X show the same effect between 2.2 and 2.3? I don't have a 2.2 on OS X any more, I was just talking about James' results on linux.

I don't have 2.2 on OS X any more, either.

-bob