On 14-apr-05, at 15:08, David Robinow wrote:

On 4/11/05, Tim Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Heh.  I have a vague half-memory of _some_ box that stored the two
4-byte "words" in an IEEE double in one order, but the bytes within
each word in the opposite order.  It's always something ...
I believe this was the Floating Instruction Set on the PDP 11/35.
The fact that it's still remembered 30 years later shows how unusual it was.

I think it was actually "logical", because all PDP-11s (there were 2 or 3 FPU instructionsets/architecture in the family IIRC) stored 32 bit integers in middle-endian (high-order word first, but low-order byte first).

But note that neither of the PDP-11 FPUs were IEEE, that was a much later invention. At least, I didn't come across it until much later:-)
--
Jack Jansen, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack