Nicholas Bastin wrote:
> I don't consider either alternative useless (well, I consider UCS-2 to
> be largely useless in the general case, but as we've already discussed
> here, Python isn't really UCS-2).  However, I would be a lot happier if
> we just chose *one*, and all Python's used that one.  This would make
> extension module distribution a lot easier.

Why is that? For a binary distribution, you have to know the target
system in advance, so you also know what size the Unicode type has.
For example, on Redhat 9.x, and on Debian Sarge, /usr/bin/python
uses a UCS-4 Unicode type. As you have to build binaries specifically
for these target systems (because of dependencies on the C library,
and perhaps other libraries), building the extension module *on*
the target system will just do the right thing.

> I'd prefer UTF-16, but I would be perfectly happy with UCS-4.

-1 on the idea of dropping one alternative. They are both used
(on different systems), and people rely on both being supported.

Regards,
Martin