I updated the patch that supports PEP 304, "Controlling Generation of
Bytecode Files" to apply cleanly against current CVS.  I've tested it on Mac
OS X (straight Unix build only).  I'd appreciate it if some Linux, Windows
and Mac framework folks could apply the patch, rebuild, then run the tests
(there is a "testbcb" target in the Makefile that should give Windows people
an idea what to do).  The patch is attached to

    http://python.org/sf/677103

Now that I think about it, there is probably a file in the Windows build
tree (equivalent of pyconfig.h?) that still needs to be updated.

The text of the PEP has not been updated in awhile.  I will try to look at
that in the next couple of days.  I'd appreciate some critical review by
people with Windows filesystem experience.  There was a comment ages ago
about problems with this scheme due to Windows multi-rooted directory tree
that I can no longer find (and failed to record in the PEP at the time).
I'd like to see if the problem can be resurrected then addressed.

Thanks,

Skip