[Raymond Hettinger]
>> While the majority of Python users deem this to be a nice-to-have
>> feature

[Barry Warsaw]
> Really?  Where's the supporting poll data?

We've run IV polls since this PEP was introduced, and the geometric
mean of those shows LXVIII% of Python users strongly in favor (+I),
and an additional XXI% not opposed (+roman(0), really -- I'm not sure
how to spell zero in Roman numerals, but trust that the new `roman()`
builtin will handle it correctly).

> In over 10 years of Python programming, I've never once needed a Roman
> number literal.

Who cares what someone still stuck on Python Challenge #XVII thinks?
Input from real Python programmers would be appreciated, though.  For
example, I'm eager to switch ZODB's object ids to Roman numerals.  For
example, as Raymond acknowledged, that would make it much easier to
produce ZODB PowerPoint slides.

> Worse, I don't buy the compatibility argument.  I'm as anal as anyone about
> PEP 8 style, but that's still no reason to break code like

And you care nothing for the possibility that an ancient Roman
explorer found frozen in the Arctic may be revived, and find such code
incomprehensibly obscure?  Python should be for everyone, not just the
living.

BTW, you might want to reread Raymond's post -- he was having an
indecently good time at, well, someone's expense <wink>.