On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 11:17, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I see two different ways to support the two most-called-for additional
> requirements: (a) an option to avoid the trailing newline, (b) an
> option to avoid the space between items.

See a (very quick and very dirty ;) strawman that I just posted to the
wiki.  I think this has some interesting semantics, including the
ability to control the separator inline in a C++-like fashion.  The
writef() version also accepts string.Templates or %s-strings as its
first argument.  I'm not sure I like reserving 'to' and 'nl' keyword
arguments, and not having the ability to print Separator instances
directly, but OTOH maybe those aren't big deals.

Anyway, this is close to what (I think) I'd like to see in the proposed
built-ins.  I'm out of time for now, so I'll check back later for all
the derision and mocking. :)

-Barry