At 07:26 AM 12/13/2005 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>Personally, I'd actively discourage use of trivial accessors.  Simple
>attribute access is not only "fine", IMO, but it is much better than
>trivial accessors.  This is an important point, IMO, because, in my
>experience, the vast majority of accessors *are* trivial.

+1000.  Python is not Java.  It's hard enough to get former Java users to
stop writing getters and setters in the first place, without PEP 8
providing even a sliver of support for that nonsense.  If anything, PEP 8
should warn in the strongest possible terms about the wastefulness of this
practice and its detrimental effects on code size, readability, and
performance.