Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> I'd like to propose that a new package be created in the standard library:
> xmlcore.  This package should contain what's currently in the "xml" package.
> The xml package should be replaced with a single module that's responsible
> for the magic that xml/__init__.py deals with now.  The tests for the xml
> package will be changed to test the xmlcore package.
>
> Advantages:
>
> - People who specifically want the standard library code can get it without
>   having PyXML get in the way if installed.
>
> - Existing code using the xml package will continue to work.
>
> Risks:
>
> - Pickles containing classes from the xml package will break if we're not
>   really careful.  But I think they're pretty fragile now.
>
> I'll be glad to make these or similar changes if there's concensus on this.

Doing *something* would be good (and what you suggest sounds reasonable).

I spent far too much time on a couple of occasions figuring out that an
application was blowing up because it expected the full PyXML installation,
rather than just the standard lib XML core (I don't know the xml package tree
well enough to tell from the name whether a given subpackage is part of the
standard lib or not).

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia