Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> It might be better to give more generic advice that tends to be true
> across implementations and versions:  "Dense collections like lists
> tuples iterate faster than sparse structures like dicts and sets.
> Whenever repeated iteration starts to dominate application run-time,
> consider converting to a dense representation for faster iteration and
> better memory/cache utilization."  A statement like this remains true
> whether or not a down-sizing algorithm is present.

Thanks.  While I certainly wasn't advocating an early optimization approach, I
think that part of using a tool effectively is also knowing its dark corners.
Sometimes you _do_ need them, so it's handy to have the little 'break the glass
in case of an emergency' box :)

>> Cheers,

> Hmm, your initial may be infringing on another developer's trademarked
> signature ;-)

Well, tough.  It happens to be my name, and I've been signing like this since
long before I started using python.  I'll think about changing when the
lawsuits come knocking, if I can't get the EFF to defend me ;-)

Thanks again for your feedback.  Until a suitable wiki comes along, I've kept
your message in my python-info folder as a potentially useful nugget.

Regards,