[Tim]
> >>Modified: python/branches/ssize_t/Objects/obmalloc.c
> [...]
>> This checkin should be reverted for now.

[Martin]
> Not sure whether you've noticed this is "just" on the ssize_t branch.

Right, I noticed.

> Without this patch, it is not possible to allocate 4GiB or more for
> a string object in debug mode, which kind of defeated my attempts to
> test that.
>
> I certainly plan to remove all XXX marks I have introduced in that
> branch before suggesting to integrate it back into the trunk.
>
> So "for now", I would prefer to keep it, and only revert it if
> I have a complete fix.

If it's expedient, that's fine for now.  I'd like to help fix it "for
real", but time is a problem for now.  In a week or two I may have
more to give to this.  Would probably also like to change the dict
object's ma_{fill,used,mask} members to Py_ssize_t (while other people
don't seem to do this much, I routinely write first-stab programs
where a single dict blows more than 2GB of VM ;-)).