Ian Bicking wrote:
> Tim Peters wrote:
>
>>[Thomas Wouters]
>>

>>>My point isn't that it isn't archived somewhere (mailinglists, wiki, FAQ,
>>>the minds of many, many people, not just Python developers) but that it
>>>isn't easily findable and it isn't easily accessible in a single location. I
>>>thought PEP's where supposed to be that, and if I have a particular idea for
>>>new syntax or new semantics, PEPs would be the place I'd look, not the FAQ
>>>or a Wiki.
>>

>>Luckily, in his benevolent infinite wisdom, I expect Guido reserved
>>PEP number 13 for exactly this purpose:  for a meta-PEP to record the
>>unlucky PEP ideas that are so unlikely to get accepted that it's not
>>worth anyone's time to write an actual PEP for them.  I like the
>>title:
>>
>>    Don't Bother:  PEPs Rejected Before Being Written
>>
>>No, I'm not kidding.  At least I don't think I am.
>

> +1.  I think it's rather patronizing to send things back to python-list
> when you know people are wasting their time discussing them because they
> will never be accepted.

Well, the problem is that most of these proposers think that their
proposal deserve attention, is valuable no matter what, but python-dev
is not the place to defuse/clarify that in a gentle way for the
proposer. Of course some people do exactly that here out of kindness
etc., I personally don't think it's a good approach.
python-list is a better place to get clarifications about the way Python
is, will stay.

Half-baked, not well thought out ideas, as huge threads in the past
going nowhere have proven, are not healthy to python-dev s/n ratio.

Even with such a valuable PEP in place, I expect some people to need
clarification discussions and python-list will still be the right place
to have them.