On Jan 16, 2006, at 9:12 PM, Andrew Bennetts wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:54:05PM -0500, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> [...]
>> That suggests that it would be better to simply add an int method:
>>
>>      x.convert_to_base(7)
>
> This seems clear and simple to me.  I like it.  I strongly suspect
> the "bright
> beginners" Alex is interested in would have no trouble using it or
> finding it.

I don't know about that, all of the methods that int and long
currently have are __special__.  They'd really need to start with
Python 2.5 (assuming int/long grow "public methods" in 2.5) to even
think to look there.  A format code or a built-in would be more
likely to be found, since that's how you convert integers to hex and
oct string representations with current Python.

 >>> [name for name in dir(0)+dir(0L) if not name.startswith('__')]
[]

-bob