On Mon, Jan 16, 2006, Alex Martelli wrote:

> Is it finally time in Python 2.5 to allow the "obvious" use of, say,
> str(5,2) to give '101', just the converse of the way int('101',1)
> gives 5?  I'm not sure why str has never allowed this obvious use --
> any bright beginner assumes it's there and it's awkward to explain
> why it's not!-).  I'll be happy to propose a patch if the BDFL
> blesses this, but I don't even think it's worth a PEP... it's an
> inexplicable though long-standing omission (given the argumentative
> nature of this crowd I know I'll get pushback, but I still hope the
> BDFL can Pronounce about it anyway;-).

-1

I agree with all the other comments about the functional asymmetry
between int() and str() in the Python universe, and that therefore str()
shouldn't necessarily mimic int()'s API.  Propose some other mechanism;
I so far haven't seen a good reasons to prefer any of the ones already
proposed.
--
Aahz ([EMAIL PROTECTED])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis