On 27-jan-2006, at 17:14, Thomas Heller wrote:

John J Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Thomas Heller wrote:
[...]
As I said in the other thread (where the discussion should probably be
continued anyway):

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-January/060113.html

only aclocal.m4 isn't clear to me about the license. Anyway, it could be that this file isn't needed after all - I don't know enough about the
GNU toolchain to be sure.  Can anyone comment on this?

From 'info autoconf':

| The Autoconf macros are defined in several files. Some of the files | are distributed with Autoconf; `autoconf' reads them first. Then it | looks for the optional file `acsite.m4' in the directory that contains
| the distributed Autoconf macro files, and for the optional file
| `aclocal.m4' in the current directory. Those files can contain your | site's or the package's own Autoconf macro definitions (*note Writing
[...]

So, I assume aclocal.m4 is under the same license as the rest of the
libffi you're using.

I cannot uinderstand your reasoning. How can 'info autoconf' incluence
the license of the aclocal.m4 file?  Or do I misunderstand something?

Given that all kind of *nix experts are here on this list - can someone
tell if aclocal.m4 is needed for building libffi at all or not?

aclocal.m4 is needed to build configure, it's a library of configure fragments.

I try to stay away from configure as far as possible so cannot say if those
fragments are  really needed.

Ronald