On 23.04.2018 22:37, Chris Angelico wrote:
Ah, are you one of those programmers who writes code once and it's
instantly perfect? I apologize, I didn't realize I was in the presence
of a unicorn.

Wow, constructive. Nothing is perfect, but if you don't consider your surroundings when doing changes, well, what could possibly go wrong...

Duplication works against that by forcing you to make changes in two places.

... in the very same line, a line below, few characters after/before it.

I've seen code that relies on duplication and compiler optimizations.
Sure, it'll run just as fast as the equivalent with actual variable
names; but that's beside the point. It takes extra effort to maintain
such code, and that is what matters.

That's exactly my point. Readability is what counts, especially for maintaining. "gcd(diff, n)" is a great name, much better than "g", if you ask me.

We aren't talking about 1000 lines of code here. The new syntax will enable one-liner optimizations. And I think Tim's example is as good as we can get realistically. Because if the expressions become longer or more complex and/or the numbers of expressions increase, I doubt that a majority want to have that in a single line even though the syntax would allow this. And if so the editor might include some line wraps, so then we are where we were before. Somewhere, you need to get your hands dirty.