On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 04:44:47PM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:

> Python is a high-profile project that hasn't been hiding its readline
> module, and if I presume anything here it's that the FSF would have
> complained by now if they really didn't want this.

In fact, we can be absolutely certain the FSF knows (or people in charge
have known, rather) of the readline module, since it was an important reason
to get Python's license GPL-compatible. Had they, at that time, considered
code-that-wraps-libreadline a problem, they would have made that known. As
it is, it was clear that the resulting binary (of non-GPL-compatible source
and a GPL library) was a GPL violation, but the source itself was not.

Not that they can't change their minds, of course. But I wouldn't go and ask
them if they changed their minds yet; it might make them ;P

--
Thomas Wouters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>