On Apr 30, 2018, at 06:36, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Instead of editing old PEPs, would it make sense to write a new one
> which replaces the old one?

As a general rule, at least the way I think about it, Informational PEPs can
mostly be updated inline, evolving with new insights as we go along.  As Nick
points out, this gives folks a consistent place to read our current
recommendations and guidelines.  They’re informational so almost by definition
contemporaneous.

Standards Track PEPs on the other hand shouldn’t be changed once finalized,
except around the margins, e.g. typos, updated URLs, that kind of thing.  These
PEPs should capture the discussion and design at the time that the feature is
solidified and lands; they do *not* serve as latest up-to-date documentation on
the feature.  If the feature changes or becomes obsolete in future versions of
Python, a new PEP should be written to supersede the old PEP.  We even have an
official `Superseded` Status value, and a `Superseded-By` header.

-Barry