On 5/5/2018 2:33 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

On Sat, May 5, 2018, 10:40 AM Eric Fahlgren <ericfahlg...@gmail.com <mailto:ericfahlg...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.bad...@gmail.com
    <mailto:a.bad...@gmail.com>>wrote:

        On Fri, May 4, 2018, 7:00 PM Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com
        <mailto:n...@pobox.com>> wrote:

            What are the obstacles to including "preloaded" objects in
            regular .pyc files, so that everyone can take advantage of
            this without rebuilding the interpreter?

        Would this make .pyc files arch specific?

    Or have parallel "pyh" (Python "heap") files, that are architecture
    specific... (But that would cost more stat calls.)

I ask because arch specific byte code files are a big change in consumers expectations.  It's not necessarily a bad change but it should be communicated to downstreams so they can decide how to adjust to it.

Linux distros which ship byte code files will need to build them for each arch, for instance.  People who ship just the byte code as an obfuscation of the source code will need to decide whether to ship packages for each arch they care about or change how they distribute.

It is an advertised feature that CPython *can* produce cross-platform version-specific .pyc files. I believe this should continue, at least for a few releases. They are currently named modname.cpython-xy.pyc, with optional '.opt-1', '.opt-2', and '.opt-4' tags inserted before in __pycache__. These name formats should continue to mean what they do now.

I believe *can* should not mean *always*. Architecture-specific files will need an additional architecture tag anyway, such as win32 and win64, anyway. Or would bitness and endianess be sufficient across platforms? If we make architecture-specific the default, we could add startup and compile and compile_all options for the cross-platform format. Or maybe add a recompile function that imports cross-platform .pycs and outputs local-architecture .pycs.

--
Terry Jan Reedy