On 5/6/2018 8:51 AM, Stefan Krah wrote:

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
What exactly didn't work? I don't understand.

https://bugs.python.org/issue33412

Isn't the standard solution to use a queue for updating the GUI?

At least I didn't have any problems at all with my one TKinter app, I
think the method is described in the Python Cookbook.

The 2nd edition, Recipe 11.9 Combining GUIs and Asynchronous I/O with Threads gives an example that processes items in the queue 5 times a second.

I can understand the desire to avoid the put and get overhead and the poll wait by calling a gui method directly. This works when one uses tcl/tk compiled with thread support and avoids inter-thread deadlocks. See my answer to Chris A. for details.

--
Terry Jan Reedy