On Fri, 25 May 2018 14:50:57 -0600
Neil Schemenauer <nas-pyt...@arctrix.com> wrote:
> On 2018-05-25, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > Do you have something specific in mind?
>
> I think compressed by default is a good idea.  My quick proposal:
>
> - Use fast compression like lz4 or zlib with Z_BEST_SPEED
>
> - Add a 'compress' keyword argument with a default of None.  For
>   protocol 5, None means to compress.  Providing 'compress' != None
>   for older protocols will raise an error.

The question is what purpose does it serve for pickle to do it rather
than for the user to compress the pickle themselves.  You're basically
saving one line of code.  Am I missing some other advantage?

(also note that it requires us to ship the lz4 library with Python, or
another modern compression library such as zstd; zlib's performance
characteristics are outdated)

Regards

Antoine.