On 25.06.2018 14:44, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 25 June 2018 at 02:24, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
A quick follow-up: PEP 572 currently has two ideas: (a) introduce := for
inline assignment, (b) when := is used in a comprehension, set the scope for
the target as if the assignment occurred outside any comprehensions. It
seems we have more support for (a) than for (b) -- at least Nick and Greg
seem to be +0 or better for (a)
Right, the proposed blunt solution to "Should I use 'NAME = EXPR' or
'NAME := EXPR'?" bothers me a bit, but it's the implementation
implications of parent local scoping that I fear will create a
semantic tar pit we can't get out of later.

but -1 for (b). IIRC (b) originated with
Tim. But his essay on the topic, included as Appendix A
(https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0572/#appendix-a-tim-peters-s-findings)
does not even mention comprehensions. However, he did post his motivation
for (b) on python-ideas, IIRC a bit before PyCon; and the main text of the
PEP gives a strong motivation
(https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0572/#scope-of-the-target).
Nevertheless, maybe we should compromise and drop (b)?
Unfortunately, I think the key rationale for (b) is that if you
*don't* do something along those lines, then there's a different
strange scoping discrepancy that arises between the non-comprehension
forms of container displays and the comprehension forms:

     (NAME := EXPR,) # Binds a local
     tuple(NAME := EXPR for __ in range(1)) # Doesn't bind a local

     [NAME := EXPR] # Binds a local
     [NAME := EXPR for __ in range(1)] # Doesn't bind a local
     list(NAME := EXPR for __ in range(1)) # Doesn't bind a local

     {NAME := EXPR} # Binds a local
     {NAME := EXPR for __ in range(1)} # Doesn't bind a local
     set(NAME := EXPR for __ in range(1)) # Doesn't bind a local

     {NAME := EXPR : EXPR2} # Binds a local
     {NAME := EXPR : EXPR2 for __ in range(1)} # Doesn't bind a local
     set((NAME := EXPR, EXPR2) for __ in range(1)) # Doesn't bind a local

Those scoping inconsistencies aren't *new*, but provoking them
currently involves either class scopes, or messing about with
locals().

I've got an idea about this.

The fact is, assignments don't make much sense in an arbitrary part of a comprehension: `for' variables are assigned every iteration, so when the result is returned, only the final value will be seen. (And if you need a value every iteration, just go the explicit way and add it to the returned tuple.)

Contrary to that, the "feeder" expression is only evaluated once at the start -- there, assignments do make sense.
Effectively, it's equivalent to an additional line:

seq = range(calculate_b() as bottom, calculate_t() as top)
results = [calculate_r(bottom,r,top) for r in seq]

So, I suggest to evaluate the "feeder" expression in a local scope but expressions that are evaluated every iteration in a private scope.

--
Regards,
Ivan