I've looked into this more and it is more subtle than my initial
report suggests (as usual).

We have some custom code in AD around find_library() so it looks in
sys.prefix/lib (on Unix) and I had a bug in that code when _get_soname
returned None. I've fixed that now.

I believe there is a condition under which this could go wrong which
is if the soname returned by objdump differs from the filename and
then the filename is not found. This would happen to people with
objdump installed but not to people without it installed, so I feel
the behaviour here should be unified. If you think we should unify it
by implementing a python replacement for this functionality then I'll
get on with a PR (and file that bug report too), the other option is
to just remove this part and have just the fallbacks happen instead?