I just came up with an idea how to resolve the VC versioning
problems for good: Python should link with mscvrt.dll (which
is part of the operating system), not with the CRT that the
compiler provides.

To do that, we would need to compile and link with the SDK
header files and import libraries, not with the ones that
visual studio provides.

For that to work, everyone building Python or Python extensions (*)
would have to install the Platform SDK (which is available
for free, but contains quite a number of bits). Would that be
acceptable?

Disclaimer: I haven't tried yet whether this would actually
work.

Regards,
Martin

(*) For Python extensions, it should be possible to use mingw
instead, and configure it for linking against msvcrt.