On 04Mar2019 1631, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 3/3/2019 10:30 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

I'm pleased to announce the immediate availability of Python 2.7.16 for download at https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2716/.

On Windows 10, this is an 'unrecognized app' and Windows Defender SmartScreen, now default, refuses to run it. "Windows protected your PC" until one clicks 'more info' to get 'Run anyway'.  This is new since the .rc1 release.  We should either make 2.7 a 'known' app* or say something on the download page about clicking 'more info'.  I don't know the status of python.org 3.x downloads.

Since Steve Dower put 3.7 on the Windows store, PSF must now be a known publisher.  Perhaps he can help make 2.7 'known'.

SmartScreen should recognize it now that it's been downloaded a few times without reporting, but the real problem is that it hasn't been signed properly. (I don't have any validation set up for Python 2 on this.)

I'll try and sign the version on my build machine by hand and upload it again this week, and maybe add a validation step to interrupt the upload if it's not signed, but anything Python 2 is a very low priority for me (sorry Benjamin :) ).

Cheers,
Steve