On 05Mar2019 1245, Chris Angelico wrote:
How much effort does it take to sponsor a PEP? I'm not a core dev, but
I can help someone with the work of writing and publishing. So if, in
that hypothetical situation, some (very busy) core dev were willing to
say "yeah, go ahead, put my name on it", would that be sufficient? If
so, it shouldn't be a problem to require this - any proposal with
enough support to be worth PEPing should have at least one person
who's willing to have his/her name in the headers.

For the record, now that he's joined the conversation, Chris is who I had in mind when I invented the term "PEP triager" in my email :)

If we had a way of appointing people who we trust to be non-core dev sponsors of PEPs, I'd nominate him. Though I suspect he's well known enough to the council that they'd accept his support of a PEP as sufficient to consider it from someone who's otherwise completely unknown. There are always grey areas in any policy.

Cheers,
Steve