On 24.04.2019 17:03, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 01:44:17 +0200
Victor Stinner <vstin...@redhat.com> wrote:
The first requirement for the use case is that a Python debug build
supports the ABI of a release build. The current blocker issue is that
the Py_DEBUG define imply the Py_TRACE_REFS define: PyObject gets 2
extra fields (_ob_prev and _ob_next) which change the offset of all
attributes of all objects and makes the ABI completely incompatible. I
propose to no longer imply Py_TRACE_REFS *by default* (but keep the
code):

https://bugs.python.org/issue36465
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/12615
+1 from me.

The second issue is that library filenames are different for a debug
build: SOABI gets an additional "d" flag for Py_DEBUG. A debug build
should first look for "NAME.cpython-38dm.so" (flags: "dm"), but then
also look for "NAME.cpython-38m.so" (flags: "m").
Sounds fair (but only on Unix, I guess).

Maybe pip could be enhanced to support installing C extensions
compiled in release mode when using a debug mode. But that's more for
convenience, it's not really required, since it is easy to switch the
Python runtime between release and debug build.
Not sure what you mean by "easy to switch the Python runtime".  As soon
as I want to use pip, I have to use a release build, right?
No, pip works with a debug Python just as well (python.bat -m ensurepip) and installs
modules to `<source tree>/site-packages` IIRC.
But building extensions is broken in this case as per
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2019-April/157180.html .
Regards

Antoine.

Regards,