On 2019-04-27 11:26, Mark Shannon wrote:
Performance improvements include, but aren't limited to:

1. Much faster calls to common classes: range(), set(), type(), list(),
etc.

That's not specific to PEP 590. It can be done with any proposal. I know that there is the ABI issue with PEP 580, but that's not such a big problem as you seem to think (see my last e-mail).

2. Modifying argument clinic to produce C functions compatible with the
vectorcall, allowing the interpreter to call the C function directly,
with no additional overhead beyond the vectorcall call sequence.

This is a very good point. Doing this will certainly reduce the overhead of PEP 590 over PEP 580.

3. Customization of the C code for function objects depending on the
Python code. The would probably be limited to treating closures and
generator function differently, but optimizing other aspects of the
Python function call is possible.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure that it's not specific to PEP 590.

Jeroen.