On 28/04/2019 03:51, Martin Panter wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 at 19:07, Chris Withers <ch...@withers.org> wrote:
Right, so I've merged up to 15f44ab043, what comes next?

$ git log --oneline --no-merges 15f44ab043.. -- Lib/unittest/mock.py
Lib/unittest/test/testmock/ | tail -n 3

This Git command line means list all the revisions except 15f44ab043
and those leading up to it.

That seems at odds with what I've found searching online and with the backporting instructions left in the mock backport docs.

My understanding is that 15f44ab043.. expands out to 15f44ab043..HEAD and means "all revs between 15f44ab043 and master":

https://stackoverflow.com/a/7693298/216229

Can you explain what leads you to expect that to behave differently?

The convention at the time was to keep the 3.5 branch merged into
Default (Master). That is why my 3.5 backport appears in your history
of Master.

Ah, okay.

Because you are asked for all the revisions except my backport and its
ancestors. As far as Git is concerned, the original spelling fixes are
not an ancestor of my backport.

I don’t have a copy of the Git repository to try, but I suggest the
following command is what you want:

git log --oneline --no-merges HEAD ^15f44ab043 ^0be894b2f6 --
Lib/unittest/mock.py Lib/unittest/test/testmock/

What's the best way to spell "show me all the revisions on master that affect {mock files} from commit x to HEAD, not including x"?

cheers,

Chris