On 2019-05-09 20:30, Petr Viktorin wrote:
### Making things private

For Python 3.8, the public API should be private, so the API can get
some contact with the real world. I'd especially like to be able to
learn from
Cython's experience using it.
That would mean:

* _PyObject_Vectorcall
* _PyCall_MakeVectorCall
* _PyVectorcall_NARGS
* _METH_VECTORCALL
* _Py_TPFLAGS_HAVE_VECTORCALL
* _Py_TPFLAGS_METHOD_DESCRIPTOR

Do we really have to underscore the names? Would there be a way to mark this API as provisional and subject to change without changing the names? If it turns out that PEP 590 was perfect after all, then we're just breaking stuff in Python 3.9 (when removing the underscores) for no reason.

Alternatively, could we keep the underscored names as official API in Python 3.9?