On 21/05/2019 20.35, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 11:17 AM Christian Heimes <christ...@python.org
> <mailto:christ...@python.org>> wrote:
>
>     I'm already facing opposition for modules that are less controversial and
> useful than http.server, too.
>

> There's another argument here. This is an "omnibus" PEP, meaning it proposes
> many unrelated changes. In order to get a consensus to pass the PEP, it may
> be necessary to compromise. IOW I would recommend removing modules from the
> PEP that bring up strong opposition, *even* if you yourself feel strongly
> that those modules should be removed.
>
> The vast majority of modules on the list hasn't elicited any kind of feedback
> at all -- those are clearly safe to remove (many people are probably, like
> myself, hard-pressed to remember what they do). I'm not saying drop anything
> from the list that elicits any pushback, but once the debate has gone back
> and forth twice, it may be a hint that a module still has fans. Threatening
> to open a CVE is more likely to reduce support for the PEP than it is to
> convince anyone.

It was not a threat, but an illustration how critical the flaw with spwd +
crypt is. The approach performs only authentication and completely bypasses any
authorization. It does not take any login restrictions into account like
account enabled flag, host/service based access control, IP restriction,
credential strength, and so on. I would give the issue a CVSS rating between
8.3 (high) to 9.6 (critical), perhaps
CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:L

By the way, Giampaolo and I have known each other for many years. I know that
he'll address the issue and file a CVE himself.