Armin Rigo wrote:
> Indeed, I don't foresee any place where it would help apart from the
> __repr__ of the iterators, which is precisely what I'm aiming at.  The
> alternative here would be a kind of "smart" global function that knows
> about many built-in iterator types and is able to fish for the data
> inside automatically (but this hits problems of data structures being
> private).  I thought that __getitem_cue__ would be a less dirty
> solution.  I really think a better __repr__ would be generally helpful,
> and I cannot think of a 3rd solution at the moment...  (Ideas welcome!)

Do they really need anything more sophisticated than:

   def __repr__(self):
     return "%s(%r)" % (type(self).__name__, self._subiter)

(modulo changes in the format of arguments, naturally. This simple one would
work for things like enumerate and reversed, though)

If the subiterators themselves have decent repr methods, the top-level repr
should also look reasonable.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia